Sunday, May 25, 2008

The worst part about BYU....

So I have decided something.
BYU-I is a great place as an entirety. There is no doubt in my mind about that.
But the worst part about it is the whole dating thing. Let me see if I can wrap my brain around this and get my words straight.

So basically, the way it goes for girls is:
1) you arrive with a purpose. So you are either a girl looking for a good education and casual dating (or less)...or you are a girl here solely here to get hitched. That may seem a little harsh, but when you walk around campus and have 12 girls from your relief society your first semester get engaged within 2.7 months....you'll know what I mean. (and that's true about the 12 girls getting engaged.. it was my RS)

So me, I am the first category. I want an education, will occasional dates. I don't think thats bad at all. The only problem so far is that all my dates have ended in " I think we should just be friends", and that's me saying it. OR they end up in a " I am leaving for two months, but I wanted to tell you I love you... I know its only been 10 days, but you mean something to me". And yes, that is also true.. I got an "i love you" not an "i luv you". There is a distinct difference. It makes for a good journal entry though! So the first semester here, yeah...not the greatest.

Now it is semester two. And now that I have gotten into the BYU-I rhythm, it seems like I cant get a date. There is a really cute guy in my ward...I wont say his last name, just in case..but his first name is Matt. Love that name to begin with, and then he has these wonderful brown eyes. You cant say no to big brown eyes.. I mean, c'mon, it's just not possible. The only problem is, I haven't even had the chance to say no.. or yes for that matter. It's sad really. He seems like a really good guy, and fun too! That is a bonus. Maybe everyone just thinks I have a boyfriend already.. which does not make sense because I come to ever single activity, and come alone too.

So anyways...and it's not like I am searching for a guy, I just feel much more open to a good relationship lately. So.. I am not searching per say, just.....being aware. Whatever I am doing, it doesn't seem to work. But then again, I am not looking to get married for ATLEAST 2 years (atleast). There is so much I want do. I guess I just want a good relationship, with a good LDS boy, preferably an RM. But I guess I might as well see what Lethbridge has to offer me, because Matt lives in Cali, and when am I going to be there next, right?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well kelly, here are a few things I have learned about dating (keep in mind, this is from my experience...probably not the rule for everyone):

    1. It comes in floods and droughts, there isn't really an in-between to that one.

    2. Floods usually come when you aren't interested in dating, or when it is terribly inconvenient for you. Droughts usually happen when you have opened up to the idea a bit more...funny how it works like that.

    3. Most girls, and most guys, tend to pick people who are completely wrong for them. Basically...people are stupid and far worse at matchmaking for themselves than they are for other people. (what sucks about that...most people are lousy matchmakers for other people too, lol)

    4. If you aren't in the "I'm only interested in a casual date or two" or the "I want to get married NOW!!!" camps...you know...the..."I'm open to a healthy relationship that may or may not have a future, but we'll have a great time dating each other" camp...that camp doesn't work out here at BYU-I. People in that camp seem to be SOL. At least...I've been SOL on that one, hahaha.

    There are more pearls of wisdom I've learned (like there is any wisdom in what I've said), but these were the most pertinent to your blog.

    Good luck!

    p.s.-btw...i deleted the comment i posted because i saw a spelling error...and, it bothered me.

    ReplyDelete