Sunday, April 24, 2011

My first week...

So, this officially commences my first week back at school. Lots has happened.
This week has been a big eye-opener for me. I have realized a little more of my potential. I have realized things that I wish I had realized in high-school. I realized things that I wish I had known my first year of university three years ago, that probably would have enabled me to be graduating this July. But, all in all, I am glad I know what I know now, and have the opportunities to demonstrate them.

First off, I now know how to study. When I look back at my high school career and the semesters I have taken in University up until this point I can see very clearly that I just didn't know how to study. And because I didn't know, I would get frustrated with myself when it actually needed to happen. That is probably why I was a C+ average student in high school. It makes sense. So, this semester, I have vowed to study my class content every day, even if I am not being quizzed the next day. I have generated a system for myself that has worked very, very well for me this past week. I read the course material for the next class and take notes. I attend class, and am able to listen to the lecture rather than being focused on taking notes, so that I can add to my notes if I need to, and if not, I can just get a second dose of the material I already read. Then I go home and re-write my notes out nice and neatly so that I can organize my thoughts and train my brain to know the material in an organized fashion. Then, the next day, I read over my notes. It is a lot of busy work, and seems a little tedious, but it works.

Secondly, I am very relieved to know what I want out of life, and how to get there. When I came here before, I was so unsure. I knew what I wanted the end of my life to look like, because there are examples of that everywhere. I knew I wanted a home and a family, financial security with little debt, a stronger testimony of the gospel and a plan for my children's future. But being 18, it's hard to know how to get to that place in life....so, I just went day to day. It's hard to live day to day for a goal you aren't prepared to achieve. Sounds backwards, but it makes sense in my head. So now, here I am 3 and a half years later. Everything that has happened until now has prepared me to be here, to make the incredibly big decisions in my life and prepare for my future. I almost cant believe it myself, but I know exactly who I am and am fully confident in saying that.

Today, I taught Gospel Doctrine in my brand new singles ward. Now, last week, the Bishop asked for volunteers to teach. For some reason, I stuck my hand up. I think it was partly because for the last few months, I have been praying for the courage to be ready for the calling of Gospel Doctrine teacher... which means I have been trying to get a better understanding of the Bible... seeing as how this year we are learning from the New Testament. So today, there I was ready to teach. It's a strange feeling for me right before I teach. It started after receiving my calling as 1st Counselor in the Relief Society in my home singles ward. Now, when I get up to teach... I know that I am inadequate to teach the gospel alone... I know I need the spirit to take the words from my mouth and translate them for each individual listening and participating in my lessons. Today was effortless. I felt the hand of the Lord in my lesson, and at times I felt as though my words were not my own. I was myself in front of the class. After the lesson, I had people coming up to me telling me how much they enjoyed my lesson. One girl said this: "Hey, 2 questions. One, have you served a mission?" Me: " No". "Well, you should... because you are amazing at teaching the Gospel. And two, what's your major?" Me: "Medical Assisting". "Well, it should be education.. I'm just saying." HOW FUNNY IS THAT? I am very flattered....but like other things I enjoy doing, I want to do just that.. I want to enjoy them and not turn them into a job. But who knows where the wind will take me....

Anyway... I know that was a rant, but I just had to get it out.

Today was a fantastic Easter. I know my Saviour lives. His gospel IS restored. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the most complete resource for the gospel and teachings that Christ gave to us when he was on the earth. His gospel continues to grow through modern revelation given to worthy men chosen by God; His prophets. I have indescribable amounts of joy and love when I go to church because I feel the spirit testify to me that where I am is where my Heavenly Father wants me to be... because here, I am able to become more like Him. I have a strong testimony and knowledge of this Gospel.. it is true, pure and simple. Being happy is not hard when you live your life in accordance with the Gospel. Being happy is hard when you have made choices that only satisfy carnal desires and have lead you farther away from where you really want to be in life. That is my testimony.

3 comments:

  1. Such an admirable post! :)

    Great blog, very influential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds perfect to me. I'm glad that life is so great for you right now. I would love to hear you teach a lesson one day. It sounds like you are good at it. Keep on havin fun Kelly.

    ReplyDelete