Saturday, April 16, 2011

Baby, I'm back.

Here I am, sitting in my apartment at BYU-I....finally! It's strange to be back, but only when I really think about the last three years, and what it's taken me to get back here. But, when I am just here, I feel home. This is where I need to be, this is where I want to be, this is where I'm going to be.

It's perfect.

A part of me is sad to leave behind my life...like my family, my (few) close friends, my knowledge of where everything is that I might ever need, my calling...just the familiar bits of life. It's so easy to become comfortable in a way of life, that even if you know you'd never have chosen it for yourself given the choice, you still become a little anxious when you leave it.

Today I walked the campus. I walked the places I had been and made memories. I also walked the new additions to the school, becoming totally turned around and at times just wandering somewhat aimlessly trying not to look like a freshman; i'm not a freshman.

My apartment is nice. I am on the top floor, in a corner unit. I have a nice big window in my room that lets that golden evening sun in. My mattress is about the same consistency as an over toasted piece of bread (or waffle)...there is just no give in the springs. It's a little ghetto, but that's just because I am comparing it to my luxurious pocket-coil pillow-top mattress at home. This will have to do.

My roommates seem pretty alright so far. Kayla, is obviously great. We picked up right where we left off in 2008. It was so good to see her. Jahnin (Jaw-Neen), is really nice. She is 20 and from Ogden. Her dad is Canadian and her mom is Mexican. She is just nice. Kristen is 27 and originally from NY state. She is a convert of 3 years and has some cool tattoos on her forearms. It's cool. She was in a bit of a tizzy when she got in from all the driving... but she seems like she'll add some "real-world" into the experience, which will be nice. I am just glad that I am not living with a valley-girl. You know, wearing the boot-cut embellished jeans over heels, a white long-sleeved shirt with a colored camisole over top... oh, and don't forget the POOF hair.. that's a must. And maybe throw in some big earrings, a belt buckle, some bubblegum and a home-made quilted paisley backpack-purse. Yeah, I'm glad I'm not with one of "those".

Jahnin has been in this ward before and she said that the guys housing that's with us is pretty much all older guys... AKA, RM's. PERFECT! No weirdo pre-mi's. That should be good. I have a feeling that I'll be called into the Relief Society. So, I guess we'll see what happens!

I'm home, in Rexburg. Life is great.

2 comments:

  1. You couldn't sound any happier Kelly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT decision you made Kelly - can't wait to hear about your adventure in the Burg... so proud of you too!

    ReplyDelete