Thursday, July 8, 2010

Rollercoaster riding, door knocking, parfait eatin' saleswomen...

Wednesday July 7th, 2010 was the most uncanny days of this summer so far.

To start it all off, our office went to Kings Dominion for the day. Roller coasters and fast rides, water slides and wave pools, pizza and ice cream. What more could I ask for on a hot day in July?

So here I am, just shy of 21 years old and I have never been on a roller coaster. Actually, that is not entirely true. I have been on a small one when I was about six years old. I remember everything about it. It was just a loop, a small loop, no bigger than the size of the perimeter of an average sized house. The car was a long green dragon. The ride probably went only about 15 kilometers an hour... but somehow, being absolutely terrified, I recall it he feeling of impending doom the second the bar locked around my waist. Next thing I knew I was crying and yelling for them to stop. All the while I could see my dads face at the entrance just laughing. Well, the operator stopped the ride because I was so frantic. Ever since then, I vowed never to step foot in one again. Silly me.... I was easily coaxed by my co-workers.

So there I am, strapping myself into the seat of The Dominator. Go ahead, look it up.... I was flying at a speed of 104 km/hour on this thing. I put my head down, tightened every muscle of my body, gripped onto the handle bars, closed my eyes and screamed the entire ride. I have never felt like I was about to die more in my life.

After that, I sat out for the scary rides. The crew went on The Intimidator.....try 152 km/hour. Yeah....there are even warnings of blacking out for several seconds during the ride due to sheer fact that you travel almost straight down for a full 305 feet.

After a fun but long day at Kings Dominion and drinking one, and only one 250ml bottle of Dasani Water at a whopping $3.98, I was exhausted, but still had to knock until 9pm.

Julia and I were given a street to knock just for that night because we had run out of our usual area. Luckily, I made a sale with a huge contract value! After we had knocked that street, we decided that we had better get some water so we went walking up towards a gas station. While hiking up the intersection, we crossed over to median to get past half of the traffic. As we were walking, we looked down in the grass and there was a 1$ bill. We felt like THE luckiest girls in the world. A few steps later, another and then another after that. We were scheming on what we could purchase with our $3 when we came across an envelope. We almost walked past, but thinking there would be more money inside, we picked it up. Inside there was another $1 bill. We had found the source. Also inside was someone's paycheck. $500 was the amount.

We decided to hold on to it until we could sit down in a building with AC and call him. After a few steps, we decided to split up. She would take one shoulder and I would take the other to search for more money that may have blown into the ditch. Over the next 7 minutes or so, we would each find a few more, jumping and screaming to the other across 4 lanes of traffic that we had added to our dollar bill collection. When we reached the McDonalds, we sat down and counted out 9 dollar bills. We found an address on the paycheck for a Pizza Hut in the same city, called 411, called the number and ended up talking to Timothy J O'Leary, the guy who had lost his check. 10 minutes later he was standing at our table, thanking us and telling about how he had been stressing beyond imagination for the last two days.

Needless to say, Julia and I are good samaritans....and we bought ourselves french fries and parfaits with the 9$ Timothy J O'Leary gave us as a reward.

All in a day of a door to door salesman's life.

2 comments:

  1. There is no greater feeling than meeting someone who is honest!!! You made a huge difference in his life you two - well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kelly!!
    That will come back in ways you'll never know!!!

    Have fun!! These are the Good Ole Days!!!

    ReplyDelete