Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cures for the sweats.

So, it is blazing hot in Rexburg. And I don't mean just a hot summer day, I mean an oven; literally. I have turned into a human inferno... I feel like a toaster strudel or a baked potato. I feel hot all over. I feel sweaty all over. I hate it. I am Canadian, I like the cold, I thrive in sub-zero temperatures. Oh, and I'm Irish.... my skin wasn't designed for the sunlight, my eyes weren't designed for UV rays and I certainly didn't grow up a "sweater". But now.....now I can't keep hydrated long enough to spell the word. So, I have tried some 'cures for the sweats'....here's what I tried:

1. Putting cold, wet towels on your feet. My feet are my temperature regulators. I figure it makes sense.... I mean, here's my theory. So, your feet are the farthest thing from your heart. So, when your insides are hot (torso area) then the blood that is coming from your heart and pumping to your feet has to go through your body and legs to get there... and if your body is hot, the blood is hot, your feet....will get hot. Then when the blood gets there, dumps the O2 and heads back to the heart, it's still hot and it's traveling up your body, thus, keeping everything hot on the way up. So, if you are hot, then put your feet somewhere cool because then everything gets cooled down there and your feet turn into a cooling system of sorts. It works backwards too.. If you're cold, put something warm on your feet and voila.... you will have a hot body. Temperature wise, that is.

2. Taking a cool shower. Okay, I say cool because I don't like cold showers. I am a baby and I cant do icy cold H2O unless I am in a lake or ocean. This is a great trick but only if a) when you get out of the shower, it's cooler in the house than when you got in the shower or b) if it isn't cooler, you don't mind sweating in a matter or minutes.

3. Eating ice cream. I think it's more of a psychological thing.... but nothing says 'hot summer day' like ice cream.

4. When you're done eating the ice cream, hold the bowl to your head.... it's still cold. I'm tellin' ya... this one works great if you are using a ceramic bowl. It stays cold forever. Awesome!

5. Standing in the opening of the fridge/freezer. Today, I did that, and I didn't even feel bad about wasting energy because I already paid for this month! Suckers! Nothing better than standing in the cool fridge nook.

6. Putting your clothes in the freezer. Okay, I actually haven't tried this one... but it sounds like a good idea.

Uh... I am workin' up a sweat just writing this post. Dang it. I've already done all the above steps too (except 6)..........maybe I should put my laundry in the freezer and then put it on. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. mm. sweats. :)

    you think work would let me install a mini-freezer on my truck and fill it with pints of dreyer's and small ceramic bowls?

    ReplyDelete