Monday, May 2, 2011

24 hours of greatness.

3-5pm: Last night, I went to my wards 'Break the Fast'. It was delicious. Lasagna, salad and buns. After I was done eating, I was swept up by my new friend Ben in a country waltz. He has been wanting me to come on Wednesday nights, and I think the dip at the end of the dance sealed the deal. 8pm, country dancing... I'm there. I also made some friends with some boys who just so happened to know a good friend of mine from back home (in Regina). They served their missions together. Very cool... it also didn't hurt that they were all quite good looking.

9pm: Stadium Singing! This is a very cool tradition, and if you don't know what it is, keep reading. Basically, every Sunday night people meet underneath the stadium seating at the outdoor field. We sing hymns and the sound is amazing. The echo under the metal seating is great. Everyone is smooshed together singing hymns and it is a very cool experience. We met up with our FHE brothers there too.

10pm: Our FHE brothers brought us a DVD player because, as all boys, they all have their own player... and when there is only 1 TV in the apartments, you have excess. They were kind enough to set it up for us and the stay to show us magic trick after magic trick. It was so fun. Our minds were blown.

11:30pm-9:45am: I had a wicked sleep. My bed was comfortable, and I didn't get woken up by my roommates and the loud cupboards slamming in the kitchen and bathroom. Amazing!

11:00am: I was sitting in the Taylor building waiting for my class to begin and I decided that instead of listening to music I would just sit.... well.... I started to look at people's shoes and realized that people on campus have some cool kicks. So I started to write down all the cool shoes I saw...Here's my list:
-Brown Crocs (officially called "Yukon" on the Croc website)
-Red paisley patterned slip on Vans... and they were on a boy.
-Brown shoes with embroidery on them.
-Plaid shoes (I'm a fan)
-Boots with zippers up the back (I think they look rather odd)

11:10am: Oh, no. This is as far as I got because then a guy came up to me... a very large, large guy. Large like, his width and depth and height were pretty close to equal. He asked me what I was doing, and I said waiting for a class. He says, "no, you were doing something...." So I told him that I was looking at people shoes and writing down the coolest ones for a blog post. Well..... he pulled up his jean pant leg and lo and behold, leather shape-ups. Yes... you heard correctly. He was sporting an oxford leather loafer style shoe with a big thick roundned sole on it. Yeah, also... his name was Andrew "like the apostle" he says. I don't know about you, but that is the least easy way to remember the name of a random guy....by naming another random guy that just so happened to be the brother of Peter and almost never mentioned in the New Testament. Sweet buddy, thanks for the tip.

11:30am: Class starts, and all is right in the world.

12:30pm: Get out of class and start my trek to Broulims to pick up some groceries.

1:30pm: One backpack and one reusable shopping bag full of groceries later, I begin my hike back up the hill to my house.

3:15pm: In my Comm 150 class and we start talking about confidence and charity. A few of the girls in class pipe up with personal experiences and start to cry, pull out the relief society hand-fan and subsequently put off every guy in the class. We are in a communication class, and crying is not an effective way of communicating.

4:15pm: I get out of class. See a cute boy texting and riding a bike simultaneously.
I see a number of couples holding hands. You know spring has sprung when love is in the air. I see a girl wearing Easter-egg-pink denim pants. You go girl! I walk by the outdoor track and see shoeless toddlers playing in the long jump pit of sand.

5pm: Posting a blog and drinking chocolate milk.

What a funny day.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your last 24 hours! Funny about the girls crying in the Comm 150 class, your thought on that was funny. My you're a clever gal. Oh, and writing down all the different shoes that you saw...... that was fun to read. And Andrew.....funny guy. And Ben and the dancing. Who was the guy from Regina??

    ReplyDelete