Saturday, September 26, 2009

Why yes, I am a Bridal Consultant!

The life of a Bridal Consultant. Think: TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress". That is my life, full time, 5 days a week!

Yes, it is quite the job. Possibly the dreamiest job I have ever had...in fact, it is. 
For the romantic dreamer that I am, I must say... this job is fun! At first I thought that I might feel that sad, alone feeling by working with brides who were anticipating the happiest day of their lives, followed by an eternity with their "special someone's". But, I am so busy that I don't even have time to stop and think about it! I have officially worked a total of ten shifts at the bridal shop. I have sold three bridal gowns to first time brides... which basically means, they walked in the store for the first time and after about an hour or so, they were walking away with a newly purchased bridal gown (0ver $1000), in which case I received a nice little bonus with each dress! I must say, this place really knows incentives! 

So, a lot of people think that as a Bridal Consultant... I consult the bride on everything about the wedding. False. I only help her with dresses, shoes, bridesmaids, their mothers, veils, tiaras, alterations and jewelry. That's it.

I think my most loved part of the job is when you pull a dress for the bride after about 30 minutes of trying on gowns that she has picked for herself and put your choice on her. An even better feeling is when she loves it... and so does her family. Today, I had just that. I had a gown pulled for this gal... she put it on, stepped on the podium and started to cry. Shortly thereafter, so did her mother, two sisters and best friend. I put a jeweled headband, necklace and veil on, and this poor girl had no chance. We stood in front of the mirrors, all 5 of us chatting about the dress, passing tissues around and doting over how gorgeous she looked. It was the first shop she had been to since her proposal, she was from out of town, and she was getting married in a whole year. But this dress was divine, the right price and she looked drop dead gorgeous! So, 20 minutes later, we had her gown ordered, bridesmaids dresses picked out and a happy (and soggy) bride.

Now that's what I call a good day at work!

4 comments:

  1. You are a winner Kelly - I can just see you in your element relating to these lovely dreamy eyed girls and they will always remember you helping them look their best...

    Well done and congratulations of snagging such a fun job - and go go go on the bonuses!!!

    We love and miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly that is so awesome! Sounds like a perfect job for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this and the last post. You are really great at writing, I swear you should write a column at a newspaper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you told this story to me in person it was so fun to read it this time. Yah. Your aunt is right. Go write a column!

    ReplyDelete